Thursday, June 26, 2014

Online Classes

Online classes are much more time consuming than I thought they would be. I decided to take my classes online for the summer and for my last semester at OTC, which is in the fall, so that I could take the promotion offered to me at work. When asking other people who had taken online classes in the past about them, I was told that it was great when you have a busy schedule. It sounds good in theory, but I see now that it's not very good for me. I feel like I learn better in a sit- in environment. With online classes, it's easy to read the assignment, do it, and then forget what you have just learned. I have to really concentrate on what I am seeing. I can manage that though. The biggest problem I have noticed is the amount of busy work in online classes. Luckily, English classes are primarily essays, which I would rather do. Some of my other classes are just a bunch of multiple choice assignments though. That is where I get into the "look up the question in the textbook and move on" mindset. I get the good grade, but I don't necessarily learn anything. So then I have to go back and reread chapters so that I do well on exams. Sometimes there are so many of these quizzes and essays that overlap on due dates that I miss something. Since online classes are supposed to allow more freedom for the student, it is rare for a professor to take late work. I understand why they don't, but sometimes I wish they would, especially if the student is trying to keep a good grade. But I guess the professor can't always see that since it is online. I do enjoy that fact that I can do the work at any time of the day though. Hopefully the more online classes I take, the better I will be at navigating them.


Fluency Journal/Blog: Entry One- 6/26/13

No comments:

Post a Comment