Friday, July 18, 2014

Sound

I know Springfield isn't a big city, but we still have some of the city feel when it comes to sounds. The cars driving by, especially on the highway, occasional sirens and horns going off, crowds of people in the shopping malls, etc. So the first thing I notice in regards to sound when I set foot in Dogpatch USA is silence. Compared to Springfield, it was silent. I was trying my hardest to be quiet too. I'm not sure why, maybe because the rest of the area was quiet; I didn't want to disturb the peace. On closer inspection, though, I realized that there were all kinds of sounds going on. They were just more natural sounds. Birds mainly, they would chirp and screech as they flew overhead. Sometimes I could hear the mumbling chirps of a bird sitting near the place we had walked past. The frogs on the pond were quite noisy as well. Not only did they make their gurgling sounds and deep throated calls, but they hopped into the water with a satisfying splash that could be heard from some distance. Since the amusement park was right next to what used to be a main highway, we did hear a car pass by us sometimes. Not very often though. My favorite sound was the rustle of the leaves and the rain. When we arrived there, it was hot and muggy, but there was a slight breeze that would move the tree branches and leaves, creating a uniform rustle. About an hour into our walk, it started to rain. Not a heavy rain, but a steady, light rain. It was so serene. The animals quieted with the coming of the rain, besides the frogs, but the sound of the frogs with the rustling leaves and soft rain was a wonderfully peaceful combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment